Related Posts with Thumbnails

Growing and growing...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Popular Posts

Friday, February 13, 2009

Cookies

I love to bake. It is one of my favorite hobbies, yet one that can be terrible for my waistline.

Photobucket

At any rate, Sunday I made some sugar cookies. "Cookie Hearts" is what Cecily called them. I made a double batch and sent some over to my sister who needed a bit of a pick me up. Generally, I just make a simple butter frosting, but my issue with that, is that it often is just too thick and rich for the cookie and ends up with a sugar overload. So I thought, why not a glaze? I took out my trusty Betty Crocker Cooky Book (more on that in a minute) and made a Browned Butter Glaze. The glaze was rich but not overpowering, very buttery with almost a caramel flavor. It went on thin and I was able to frost many in a very short time.

It is also very simple:

Melt 1/4 cup butter over medium high heat, until golden brown (the darker it gets, the more buttery it will taste). Add 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla (almond would work too). Color with food coloring. Add enough hot water to make a fairly thin glaze. Dip cookies face down and shake off excess. This should easily cover a batch of sugar cookies.


Central to my cookie baking is my Cooky Book. It was originally published in 1965. It contains the recipes of our most treasured family cookies (the best) chocolate chip cookies, molasses crinkles and many others. I am always finding new things to make from it.

Photobucket

A couple years ago, I was looking at the newspaper, and there was an insert that had a reprint of the 1950s Betty Crocker cookbook. As a free gift, you could get the Cooky Book! I had to look it up and check if it was the right one, as our original was missing its cover. I saw the sample pictures and pages and was certain it had to be it.

Photobucket
Photobucket
The holy grail of chocolate chip cookies:
Photobucket
It was! So, I told my mom and that happened to be what I got for my birthday. I highly recommend it. While it does include some oddities (Trix cookies, anyone?), there are some real gems in there.
Photobucket

4 remarks:

Amber Waite February 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

I am SO trying this today. I love sugar cookies but like you said the frosting is usually too much (especially the store bought kind). That glaze reminds me of yummy Smith's cookies and I have had a pretty serious craving for those. Plus I have everything on hand to make it! Can I use any sugar cookie recipe or is there one in particular that is the best.

Kathryn February 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

Yeah, I think any recipe would be fine. I hope you like it!

Kathryn February 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Oh, and for decorating, you should put sprinkles on pretty quickly. I put some messages on them and for that, I just mixed powdered sugar and water until it was about the consistency of peanut butter. I put it into a plastic bag and cut a really small bit off the corner.

Deven and Alyssa Perry February 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM  

Those cookies look delicious! You have inspired me to want to bake something today haha... Now off to decide what to bake. Happy Valentines Day!

Latest Tweets

Search

Wordle: Untitled

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP