Related Posts with Thumbnails

Growing and growing...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Popular Posts

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Classic!



Growing up, I suppose you could say that my sister and I weren't exactly normal. I guess I do remember a bit of what was popular with our peers in the early 90s, but most of it we weren't really into. We didn't watch much television, but we did watch movies. Of course, we loved "The Little Mermaid" and Co., but next on our list were musicals. Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals accounted for most of them. We would drive everyone nuts on car trips with the repetitive verses of "Do Re Mi" an the like.

As I wish to indoctrinate my own daughters into the love of musicals, I have started them young. Thursday night, we watched the great MGM classic, "Singin' in the Rain." The girls loved it. Music and dancing filled the screen and they were entranced. They danced to the lively songs and laughed at the silliness.

I was trying to decide what part of the movies was my favorite, and I kept thinking one thing was, but then another bit came on. While the plot is pretty sparse, there are so many classic lines, gags and songs that it can be enjoyed by just about anyone.

As a kid, "Make 'Em Laugh" was always a highlight for me. This was Cecily's favorite, unsurprisingly. She just cracked up as Donald O'Connor danced, fell over and made silly faces.


I know I cannot force a love of good movies on my children, but I can encourage it. They will have more musicals in their future!

2 remarks:

Cristin February 8, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

I also love musicals. Before we had kids, I started a collection show to my children, but now that I have 2 boys, I worry about getting them obsessed with musicals like I am. Very stereotypical, I know.

Kathryn February 9, 2009 at 2:50 AM  

Hehe, I say show them! It is all about balance, I think.

My brothers do enjoy musicals. Singin' in the Rain is one of my brother's favorite movies.

Latest Tweets

Search

Wordle: Untitled

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP