Related Posts with Thumbnails

Growing and growing...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas?

(I will do a Halloween post soon, I promise!)




I know that these are somewhat dismal times in a lot of ways considering the economy and the war and people like the thought of the most wonderful time of the year. ESPECIALLY for retailers, and boy do they have to get going early. I shouldn't be stressing about Christmas presents before Thanksgiving, but I am! And advertisements are telling me I ought to be!

I mean, I love Christmas as much as the next guy and have been known to watch a Christmas movie in July. But that is my choice. But with some radio stations playing Christmas music and the bombardment of advertisers, it is hard to avoid, even for me, who barely watches TV and hardly listens to the radio.

And then we wonder why we feel such a letdown come January. So much build up for just a day. (Hmm, sort of reminds me of our election!) If only it were just a little less stressful a more enjoyable. Simple and special. It makes Thanksgiving feel like just a warm up to Christmas.

One of my favorite movies is "About A Boy" and there is a moment where Will is at the market and he hears the Christmas song his father wrote. "November the sodding nineteenth they were playing it..." Of course, I love that because that is my birthday! Growing up, I never thought about Christmas until it was actually December. We had a little tradition of putting up some decorations on the first. Three or four weeks of Christmas is plenty. Enough to enjoy, not so much that you are exhausted with the idea by the time December 25th comes around.

So, that will be my mantra. No Christmas until December. Yes, I will be shopping, but there will be no carols and no decorations until then

Viva la revolucion de Navidad!

3 remarks:

Cristin November 11, 2008 at 2:52 AM  

I love "ABout a Boy" - that is one of my all time favorite movies.

I agree. I couldn't believe the Christmas stuff was out with the Halloween stuff. They're just pushing it too early.

ibelaura November 11, 2008 at 1:51 PM  

i agree! it frustartes me that they have chrismas decorations up when it isn't even thanksgiving, david and i decided that we'll start decorating dec.1st but still they have my kids thinking about christmas instead of remembering the pilgrams and giving thanks for all they brought to our great country........i know i probably blew off to much steam just barely but Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday=(

Cristina November 19, 2008 at 4:34 PM  

I'm also all for the notion of no Christmas until December 1. I'm mad that the local stations are already playing Christmas music, so I just listen to NPR when I'm in the car, or to CDs. Problem solved. :)

Latest Tweets

Search

Wordle: Untitled

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP